Like the headline says! We’re looking for a few good interns for the 2020-21 season. If you’ve come to our rehearsals or our concerts in the last few seasons, you know that our interns learn a lot, and are in the thick of things from front-of-house to plying our AD with props, mid-song. It’s a great learning experience, and we’re a fun group to hang out with! So if you’re looking to learn more about arts management in real time, read on, and apply!
ARTS MANAGEMENT INTERNSHIP WITH VIENNA CHORAL SOCIETY
Vienna Choral Society (VCS) is Northern Virginia’s premiere teaching choir. We are in our 32nd year and come from all walks of life. We welcome singers of all skill levels, and have a great time singing an ambitious and eclectic repertoire that ranges from classical large works to acapella and pop – sometimes in the same concert. We sing not only for the joy of it, but to lift voices and spirits, be a good community partner, and offer our choir and audience an uplifting and enriching experience.
VCS is looking for ARTS MANAGEMENT INTERNS for the 2020-21 season.
DESCRIPTION: The VCS Arts Management internship is a dynamic, hands-on experience for self-starters who want to get their feet wet in the fast-paced world of the performing arts. Intern will report directly to the Executive Director of VCS.
During the course of the internship, the intern will:
- Learn and assist with creating, planning, and implementing marketing strategies for a concert or season
- Learn and assist with market research, media outreach, fundraising, and business development
- Help conduct research to identify grants and other funding opportunities
- Assist Executive Director during regular and dress rehearsals
- Help set-up and strike-down on concert night, learning the ins and outs from backstage as well as front-of-the-house
- Assist the board, Artistic Director, and Accompanist as needed with administrative duties
DURATION: Mid-August to day after December concert and/or early January to mid-June (exact start/end dates are negotiable).
BENEFITS TO INTERN: The internship position is unpaid. The intern will obtain the following benefits:
- Learn to manage, market, and produce a live arts event from beginning to end
- Receive school/college credit if applicable
- Receive service hours if applicable
- Receive a certificate of completion
- Be eligible for a recommendation
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word/Excel/Powerpoint)
- Utilization of professional telephone etiquette
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Comprehension of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and other social media tools
- Ability to be flexible, multitask, be self-directed and meet deadlines
- Passion and joy for activities that improve the lives of others
- Junior or senior in high school, currently enrolled college students and post-grads
- Ability to commit to at least one hour a week during regular rehearsal periods (September – May).
- Ability to attend rehearsals through the season highly desirable.
- Ability to attend the first two rehearsals of each concert, plus dress rehearsal and show night. During other rehearsals, if interns are unable to attend in person they must do a phone check-in at least once a week.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a cover letter and resume by March 31, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating “internship inquiry” in the subject line.
Please indicate which internship period(s) is/are of interest (Fall, Spring, or whole season) and whether you are available during the orientation session.